The attack on marriage is really an attack on the human person, and his dignity, for the devil seeks to pervert our true purpose, to pervert God's holy design. For many of us, we cannot march in protests or write dozens of letters or call numerous times to urge legislators to vote for the Truth. But one thing we can all do is pray and fast. We have designated one day each week to fast for these intentions:

1. That marriage may be preserved, promoted, and understood as God's plan for creation.

2. For all marriages that they may reflect the love of the Trinity.

3. For broken marriages that Christ bring healing and conversion to the spouses' souls.

4. For those who are married, for the sanctification of their marriage and their spouse. For those who are single, for their future spouse and vocation.


Thursday, March 13, 2014

March 14th Fast

+
JMJ
"When I look into the future, I am frightened
But why plunge into the future?
Only the present moment is precious to me,
As the future may never enter my soul at all. 
It is no longer in my power,
To change, correct, or add to the past
For neither sages nor prophets could to that
And so, what the past embraced I must entrust to God. 
O present moment, you belong to me, whole and entire.
I desire to use you as best I can.
And although I am weak and small,
You grant me the grace of Your omnipotence. 
And so, trusting in your mercy,
I walk through life like a little child,
Offering You each day this heart
Burning with love for Your greater glory." 
(Diary of St. Faustina, Para. 2)

The Prince of Darkness seeks to upset the followers of the Prince of Peace by disturbing the peace of their hearts, and consequently their homes.  Anxious thoughts constantly creep into one's mind, creating havoc.  Yet, anxiety is caused not only by a fear of suffering but also a distrust in the grace and mercy of God.  The vulnerability which comes with a situation out of one's control is a source of grief and distress.  By forgetting to yoke oneself to Christ through prayer and trust, one finds himself burdened with a heavy cross, bereft of comfort or consolation.

Too often the Psalmist describes our weakness:
"I said to myself in my good fortune:Nothing will ever disturb me.Your favor had set me on a mountain fastness,then you hid your face and I was put to confusion."  (Ps. 30: 6-7)
We are like Peter, happy to walk on water when it is calm but soon terrified when any tempest arises.   And sometimes, it need not be the storm itself but only the prospect of one which plants seeds of fear.  It is then, we must become like little children who confidently depend upon their parents.  Little babes come into this world completely vulnerable, and so completely trusting.  Perhaps if we recognize the still vulnerable state we are in, it might be easier to trust and so have peace.  

Living a life of gratitude helps one meditate on the awesomeness of God's mercy, and recollect the many instances of His providential protection.  We remember that we have nothing by right but only by mercy; that we are adopted children of God.  Trusting in His Mercy we must trust in His Way.  And so we must learn His Way: of self-denial, self-abandonment.  We must remember the words of Christ to the rich young man: "Go and sell all that you have and come and follow Me."  To abandon oneself to Christ means to detach oneself from material riches but also personal weaknesses and fears.  Let us learn to say the beautiful prayer of Divine Mercy many, many times: Jesus I trust in You!


No comments:

Post a Comment